Contact one of your school counselors if you are
interested in applying.
Engineering Program for Rising 10th and 12th Grade Students
The Tickle College of Engineering (TCE) at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN will host TWO summer engineering programs for rising tenth and twelfth grade students during the summer of 2018. Each program is a one-week residential program for rising high school students. All students are encouraged to apply. For program information, dates, and deadlines; see the enclosed TCE Summer Program Flyer 2018.
- Engineering VOLunteers for Tenth Graders (eVOL10) = Rising tenth grade students live in a residence hall on the UT campus and engage in chemistry, ACT preparation, compete in engineering challenges, and tour an engineering industrial plant. Throughout the program, students team with each other to apply what was learned and work on an engineering design project.All eVOL10 applicants must have taken a standardized test, such as the ACT Aspire, ACT Residual, ACT, PSAT, or SAT.
- High School Introduction to Engineering Systems for Twelfth Graders (HITES12) = Rising twelfth grade students live within a residence hall on campus, engage in hands-on engineering fundamentals activities, college life sessions, compete in engineering challenges, and tour an engineering industrial plant. Throughout the program, students team with each other to apply what was learned and work on an engineering design project. All applicants must have a minimum ACT math score of 25 (SAT math score of 590).
We are currently in the process of re-envisioning our programs, and we will not offer our Engineering VOLunteer for Rising Ninth Graders (eVOL9) and High School Introduction to Engineering Systems for Eleventh Graders (HITES11) programs in the summer of 2018.
Our mission is to provide students who show an interest in engineering studies an early exposure to, and preparation for, scientific study and research. Hands-on activities will spark an interest in the world of engineering and allow students to explore career opportunities. Throughout the program, participants will be challenged to apply what they have learned in engineering competitions. All applications must be received by their deadlines. For more information, please visit our website athttp://www.engr.utk.edu/diversity/pre-college/.
Veterinary Summer Experience Program
The University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine is currently accepting applications for the 2018 Veterinary Summer Experience Program. The program seeks to provide worthwhile opportunities for students interested in veterinary medicine while simultaneously generating a pool of potential veterinary students. To this end, the program is designed to provide valuable educational experiences and acquaint students with all facets of our exciting profession. Students will work in local veterinary practices for five weeks and then spend one week in Knoxville as guests of the veterinary college. While here, they will be involved in various educational programs including lectures, laboratories, and clinical rotations. For the entire program, the student interns will be employees of The University of Tennessee and are covered by the University’s policies, liability coverage, and worker’s compensation program.
To apply, a student must:
- Be a legal resident of the State of Tennessee and enrolled in a Tennessee high school or homeschool
- Be a current high school junior or senior at the time of application submission
- Be at least sixteen years of age by June 4, 2018
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average
- Be available for full time employment (40 hours/week) between June 4 – July 13, 2018
- Have not previously participated in the Veterinary Summer Experience Program
No exceptions will be made to the eligibility requirements listed above. Students not meeting all of the stated requirements should not apply. All applicants must submit an application, an official high school transcript, and three reference letters. Applications must be submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. on March 9, 2018. Supplemental materials must be postmarked by March 10, 2018. All applicants will be notified of their status via email on or before April 30, 2018. Further information and application materials may be obtained on our website at www.vet.utk.edu/summerexperience
Summer programs for high school students: