Student Enrollment Information

All children age 5 by August 15, 2016 and not age 21 on the first day of school living within Claiborne County are eligible for enrollment. Each child seeking to enroll in the school system must be a resident of Claiborne County.

Registration takes place at each individual school. Parents are asked to contact the school office to make an appointment for registration. Dates of registration for each school are listed in the local newspaper during the months of April and May. Individual schools may be contacted to determine the specific registration date and time.

Documents Needed to Enroll Students
Parents need to provide the following documents when enrolling their children in Claiborne County Schools for the first time:

  • The child’s certified birth certificate (no photocopies, mother’s copy or hospital copy)
  • Tennessee School Immunization Record
  • Copy of the child’s social security card (optional)
  • Proof of a health physical
  • Proof of residency which can be in the forms listed below

Proof of Residency Forms
Parents will need to provide proof of residency with one of the following documents:

  • Powell Valley Electric or district utility bill
  • Mortgage document or property deed
  • Apartment or home lease (legally notarized rental agreements)
  • Any other documentation that will objectively and unequivocally establish that the parent with legal custody or legal guardian lives in the county full time
    • Current paycheck stub with local address
    • IRS forms
    • DHS benefit documentation
    • Alimony and child support documentation
    • Bank account statements
    • Insurance documents
    • Certified copy of filed petition for legal guardianship


Transferring within the Claiborne County School System During the School Year
Requests for a change of schools (after the open enrollment period) that do not include an actual change of residence must be approved by both the receiving and exiting school principals as well as the Director of Schools. Contact your child’s principal for more information about the correct procedures and dates allowed for transferring schools within the Claiborne County School System during the school year.