255 Powell Valley School Lane
Speedwell, TN 37870
Elementary School: 423.869.4659 Middle School: 423.869.5952 Fax: 423.869.8343
Drop off 5th through 8th grade students, in the mornings, at the front of the building.
Pick up 5th-8th grade students, around the side of the building, following the same procedure as last year.
Powell Valley Elementary School is located in Speedwell, Tennessee, in western Claiborne County.
From Harrogate, take Hwy 63 toward LaFollette. Go approximately 9 miles, turn left on Powell Valley School Road. Turn right on Old 63. Make next left on Powell Valley School Lane, school is located at end of lane.
From I-75 take Exit 134 to Caryville/Jacksboro/LaFollette,TN. Turn right onto TN-63 E/Hwy 25 N and proceed for 28.3 miles on TN-63. Turn right on Powell Valley School Road. Turn right on Old 63. Make next left on Powell Valley School Lane, school is located at end of lane.
History of PVES
The forerunner of Powell Valley Elementary School was the Powell Valley “Consolidated” High School, which when completed, opened in the fall of 1914. The student body was composed of the elementary pupils from two schools and 15 to 19 ninth grade students. Since there were no tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade students, only one year of high school was offered. In the fall of 1916, tenth grade was added to the high school curriculum. The school operated with grades one through ten until the fall of 1922 when the eleventh grade was included. The following year, 1923-24, the twelfth grade was included, and Powell Valley High School became a four-year high school.
In 1937, near the site of our present school, Powell Valley Elementary School was built to relieve overcrowding at the Powell Valley High School. From its beginning in 1914, to the present, it consolidated Bolinger, Bradens, Cawood, Flat Hollow, and Red Hill Schools, as well as, the Speedwell Academy, which is recognized as the oldest school in the state of Tennessee.
On December 25, 1968, the old elementary school burned. A new building was built at our present location, and the doors to our present school opened for business in 1970. The building was an open classroom structure with a centrally located library, office, cafeteria, a small gymnasium, and six enclosed classrooms. Later, the open classrooms were enclosed, four new classrooms and two bathrooms were added, and the gymnasium was enlarged to include two athletic dressing rooms and additional seating. *
*The information was taken directly from Speedwell (Through 200 Years), Bonnie M. Page, Compiler, and Editor. 1985.
Powell Valley Elementary School’s original structure was built in 1970. This building houses our Kindergarten through 4th grades. A new wing was added in 1984.
In 2003, the consolidation of the county high schools enabled the elementary school to expand its space. The vacant high school building became the new facilities for the Powell Valley Middle School grades 5th through 8th.
Presently there are over 21 regular classrooms, including individual Special Education classrooms, 2 guidance counseling areas, 4 computer labs, 2 libraries, 2 cafeterias, and 2 gymnasiums as well. Powell Valley Elementary also has a convenient head start program located right on its campus. The head start facility has a central location on campus with its own fenced in play area.