Powell Valley Elementary School’s Counseling Program Goals
Program goals are organized in three developmental domains and are aligned with those of the American School Counseling Association. The counseling staff is one component of the District’s service delivery system to accomplish these goals. The collaborative work of our teachers, parents, agency representatives and all members of the school community are needed to support our students in reaching these goals.
- To help students understand themselves as learners and encourage them to develop
skills that will enable them to reach their academic potential.
- To utilize a variety of measures to assess student academic performance.
- To identify factors that impact learning and determine a course of action to provide
- To help students choose and advance in a program that will enable them to reach their
future academic and career goals.
- To provide students with the opportunity to assess personal interests and aptitudes in relation to a career interest.
- To help students discover the world of work through various career resources and explore a broad spectrum of careers.
- To assist students to develop positive interpersonal relationship skills involving respect
for diversity and cultural competence.
2. To assist students to be aware of one’s beliefs and interests and to develop a positive
3. To assist students in developing resiliency and effective coping skills.
4. To assist students to develop appropriate problem-solving and decision-making skills to resolve conflicts and to accept responsibility for their choices.
School counselors work toward these goals for students through classroom-based or large group sessions and small support groups for students on a variety of topics such as “changing families”, grief and loss, friendship/social skills, healthy lifestyles and self-esteem. Counselors may also work individually with students to assist them in solving problems and coping with situations that may be affecting school performance. Counselors may also meet with students with special needs to provide services related to individualized student goals.